Obion County Board of Education
January 12, 2009

Agenda Item: VIII.

Director's Update

School Calendar :

The calendar committee has met three (3) times, the latest being, January 8, 2009. This committee met diligently, taking various ideas for the school calendar back to their respective schools for discussion with staff, and coming back with different school calendar scenarios. Parameters established and challenges for the committee were:

  • With the high schools change to block scheduling, a preference for ninety (90) day semesters was suggested
  • Continue the tradition of dismissing students for Fair Day
  • With the Federal government mandating that the State Department of Education report test scores two weeks prior to the beginning of the school year, the TCAP test window was moved up approximately two (2) weeks (March 22 – April 9, 2010). Thus, to have at least 150 days of instruction prior to TCAP testing, our beginning date would have to moved up considerably as compared to the 2008 – 2009 calendar
  • Due to the emphasis on student instruction, we were faced with the possibility of having spring break at a different time than the Union City Schools, which is tentatively set for April 5 – 9, 2010

The committee agreed upon and adhered to the parameters set in the development of the proposed calendar. The committee agreed upon and recommends the proposed school calendar. Although none of the committee especially like the date set for the first day of school, with the change in TCAP testing affecting the elementary schools and the change to block scheduling affecting the high schools, beginning school on August 3, 2009 was the only real alternative. The proposed school calendar will not be an action item until the February meeting.

Board Retreat:

Over the past couple of years, the Board scheduled and planned a Board retreat to discuss, among other things, long-range plans for the school system. We have checked with the library and, currently, it is available on March 20, 27, and April 3. We need to book the library as soon as possible if that is where the Board wishes to hold a retreat. We have tentatively schedule March 27, 2009 with the library, but this date can be changed if the Board prefers another date.

Staff Recommendation:

For study and analysis only - no Board action is required on this agenda item.